Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A few updates

I am currently sitting in Methodist Hospital in the Twin Cities. My friend Dan is having his gallbladder removed today. This is the first time I have been in a hospital since I left Columbus in February following Penny's funeral. When I walked in here today it was kind of odd. I am in a different state and a different hospital than the one Penny spent much of her time in but I had this sense like Penny was here or something. The sad reality is that every time I went home to see Penny from November - February she was in the hospital. So I guess when I walked through the front doors today it was like Pavlov's Dog or something and the sounds, smells, etc. made me think of Penny. I felt as if I should be able to take the elevator up to the 3rd floor and walk in her room to see her. I wish that were true!

In other news I do sense this freshness about my work with Consumed though. I have said it often but I feel as if God is blowing fresh wind into our sails. I have interviewed one person for an internship through Consumed and she seems very interested. I have also talked with another guy that is married and they are considering as well. I am trying to plan a few trips in the fall to speak, connect with people, etc. So that is really good. I feel more alive when I am doing what I feel God has created me to do.

From mid June - mid July I will put my coaching hat back on and be an instructor for Hoopology University again. Hoopology is opening a branch in Bloomington so I will be co-leading that. I enjoy teaching basketball so this allows me to scratch that itch without doing it full-time throughout a regular season. If you have kids in Bloomington or surrounding areas, check out what is offered at the Hoopology University website.

This summer my family will embark on some new adventures. For Christmas this year we bought a tent for the girls with the promise of a few camping trips this summer. It is now time to cash in on that promise (the girls ask often when we are going to go). We will probably head to Mount Rushmore or Lake Superior for a long weekend but I need some suggestions for places closer to the cities. Something we could do for one night. If you have some ideas, let me know.

I think that is it for now. I have another post brewing in my head which will be entitled "Reasons to Go". If any of you listen to the Jim Rome radio show you will understand what the "reasons to go" phrase is in reference to.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I was thinking that too about your visit to Methodist. My mind was not really in tact, wish I would've said something. THANK YOU for everything you did for Dan and I today! Seriously, you're time is such a wonderful gift!

Full of JOY said...

Poor Dan! Oh and Chuck is dying to take me camping, wish I had the zeal that your girls do...

Unknown said...

Everytime I go into hospitals I remember my Grammy being in one for a very long time and dying. I miss her. I pray for you and Gretchen all the time.

Hoopology sounds like a very fun place : ). I am glad you get to work there. You are a great teacher and encourager. I know the kids will love you.

Kaishon and Shoshi camped out in the backyard a couple of weeks ago. Or maybe months. Time flies. It was very funny. They only lasted for about an hour after it got dark. They came running in and told me a stranger had been scratching at their tent. They were sure of it. Hilarious.