Monday, June 7, 2010

Pretty blessed

Today I turned 35. I am officially the age where in most professional sports you are either retired or extremely old. But I still feel good and last I checked I wasn't competing against the world's greatest athletes. So I think I will be OK. I learned today that I share the exact birth date of Allen Iverson - June 7, 1975. I also share a birthday with Prince. That may explain my latest urge to get covered in tattoos, buy some heeled boots, and dress in all purple.

Today was a different birthday. Since Penny's birthday is in 2 weeks it just felt wrong to even contemplate celebrating. I know that is wrong and if Penny were here she would tell me that is stupid but it was hard to get past that feeling. But this morning I listened to an old voicemail from her and just imagined she was saying "Happy Birthday" on it. I then read many wall posts on facebook from people all over the world and was amazed at this life I was given by God. I have lived in three different states and been all over the U.S. and other countries and my life has been shaped by so many amazing friends. I spoke on the phone with the woman who brought me into the world this afternoon. I hung up the phone and was so incredibly thankful for the family and home I was raised in. And tonight I ate a meal with one special women and three beautiful girls. We later sat on a wooden swing. I was sipping coffee and the girls were back and forth from the swing to the water (looking at fish and ducks) and I again was overwhelmed at God's goodness to me.

Today the song"Tower" by Brad Kilman continues to play itself in mind (and on my guitar before dinner). I share these words on this post because it is so true of my life. The pattern of my life is I wait for God and He hears my cry...over and over and over again.

Jesus, Jesus
You are my tower Lord
Jesus, Jesus the rock I stand on
Jesus, Jesus there is no other name like Your name
And I will wait for You

The Lord is good to those
To those who wait for Him
Oh I will be still and I will know that You are God
Your loving kindnesses
Indeed they never cease
Your compassions never fail
They never fail

My story simple told
I waited for the Lord
And He heard my cry

1 comment:

Full of JOY said...

Ugh. I'm sorry I forgot your birthday! =( BUT Happy Birthday to you a little late! =)