Thursday, January 14, 2010

it's been a different kind of year

One year ago today my sister Penny was diagnosed with a rare form of cervical cancer that less than one-half percent of cervical patients have. To say the least, it was a shock to my family. Soon after the diagnosis I went to Columbus to be with Penny & my family. I remember going to Penny's house and just feeling the heaviness of the situation as I sat in the living room with Penny & Dustin. I remember looking into Penny's eyes and telling her that I was 100% confident that she could do this. I told her I knew that God would be pleased with her response to this news and that she would faithfully obey Him each step of the way.

Since that night Penny has undergone chemotherapy, radiation, multiple surgeries, various other procedures, and significant life changes. She has taken each step with grace & courage. Of course there were times of discouragement, fear, and anxiousness but she wrestled through those dark times with the truth & love from God and those surrounding her and assisting with this journey she is on. I can't express in words how proud I am of Penny and the fight she is putting on. The fight physically for her life, but also the fight to remain faithful and obedient to the God that loves her. She is a model of patient endurance to anyone privileged to know her!

I don't know what this next year will bring Penny's way but I know this - she will please God! She will treat those around her with love & gentleness. She will fight! And she will continue to be my hero in the faith!

2 comments:

Full of JOY said...

I haven't been sleeping well lately, and God has brought Penny to my heart many times. Praying.

Heidi said...

It's amazing to see people rise up when tough times come, challenging. I love that you've called her your hero. We pray with the girls about Penny and my mom all the time. Please heal her God!