Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September 1

I haven't posted on the blog in a while so I thought I would share some random thoughts...

  • FALL - I have always loved fall. It is by far my favorite season. I know of some that get depressed in the fall because after fall comes winter and winter in MN can be depressing. But I am not going to be like that. I cherish cooler temps that kill off blood sucking misquitos. This morning I stepped outside and felt a refreshing cool breeze on my face. After several muggy weeks here I loved a slight chill in the air. Fall is also the time I celebrate my wedding anniversary with my beautiful wife. It has been 13 years in a few short weeks. I am amazed and still perplexed why she agreed to share her life with me but I will be eternally grateful.
  • REDS - My Cincinnati Reds are 22 games above .500 and leading the NL Central by 7 games. For many of you that means nothing. But to a guy that loves baseball and hasn't seen his team in the playoffs since 19freakin95 I am jacked up. Chapman was brought up last night and looked amazing in a perfect 8th inning. They have an explosive offense and the pitching is solid. I would love to see a late October run.
  • FOOTBALL - The Bucks start their 2010 campaign towards a National Championship tomorrow night. Enough said!
  • HEALING - My heart continues to heal. Some days are better than others but I think about Penny more and more every day. But God is faithful...always is! I have a hope of seeing her again someday and I cling to that promise.
  • SOCCER - I am not much of a soccer fan. I have grown to appreciate the sport the more I understand it though. But I am learning to love it because my daughter Tori loves it and that is enough for me. She had her first scrimmage last night and I love to watch her play. It is the highlight of my week. She is alive and happy on that field. I especially love it when she knocks other girls over going after the ball. I know that is probably wrong but for a guy who envisioned seeing a son play football one day a daughter roughing up other girls on the soccer field is as close as I will get.
  • NORMANDALE COMMUNITY COLLEGE - Classes started last week and that means I am back on campus more. This is my 5th year of involvement and I really believe God is going to do amazing things here. There are many spiritually thirsty students walking the hallways. I hope to point them to the God that can quench those thirsts above and beyond what they can possibly comprehend.

3 comments:

Full of JOY said...

Go Tori!! HAHA!! Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Jamie - I am touched by your sadness over losing Penny. Even though my brother died 31 years ago, I still have these times of tears and sadness over what he could have been for the Lord,how much he had to offer in life, and that my children would never know him. So, my heart feels your sadness, and I hope you know that God will still use Penny's life for many years to come. God uses what she did in life even today :-) Blessings, Joanna Pollock Shumaker

Unknown said...

I just laughed SO hard about you saying you love when she knocks other players over on her way to the ball. You are such a boy. A great boy : )

The thought of endless football and basketball games on tv makes me feel sick. But I try to remember how much joy it gives all of you men... it helps a little.

We pray for you and Gretchen and the girls every day.

Today is October 1st so I think it is time for a new post.

Congratulations on your anniversary. 13 years seems like a long time. You have a wonderful wife.