Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday Thoughts

I am sitting in the emergency room with Mace right now. She will be fine. She is battling a little case of croup. Mace is seriously the best. Every time a nurse or doctor comes in the room she wins them over in about 3 seconds with that beautiful smile. But she is coughing and breathing heavy and sitting on a bed with a little heart monitor deal on her finger. That is tough for any dad to see. She looks over at me every now and again and says, with a raspy voice,"can we go home?" I tell her, "not yet sweety", and she pooches out her bottom lip and continues to watch tv. It can feel very helpless as a parent sitting in the ER knowing there is nothing really you can do to help your child.

Just a few minutes ago I thought about my sister Penny and all the time she spent in the hospital the last few months of her life. When my dad visited her he told me several times how helpless he felt. As a dad, you are willing to do anything to protect your daughter and yet he couldn't do anything to stop that horrible disease from spreading.

The thought of my dad and Penny led me to thinking about what this day represents. The day we set aside to remember and reflect Jesus' death and the ramifications of that death for us. Rightfully so, on Good Friday we think and reflect mostly on Jesus - His arrest, trial, flogging, sufferings, pain, anguish, and death. But this morning I gained a new perspective...a Father's perspective. I can't begin to imagine what our Heavenly Father felt when His only Son endured the most horrific of deaths. God selflessly sacrificed His Son (and Jesus was willing to do it), so we could be reconciled as His children. I wouldn't give the life of one of my daughters for anyone. But God...His love for humanity reached a level unparalleled by anyone or anything!

Earlier this week I spoke to a World Religions Class at Normandale Community College here in Bloomington, MN. The topic I was asked to speak on was, "the path of salvation in Christianity". I decided to read and teach the class from Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus in the Gospel of John, chapter three. Eventually I came to a familiar verse:

"For God so loved the world that He GAVE His only Son. That whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life."

Today that familiar verse resonated with me in a different way. I am so appreciative of the work of God on humanity's behalf. Today I celebrate a new life given to me but at the cost of a Father allowing His Son to suffer. Happy Good Friday everyone! God truly loves you more than you can imagine!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This was the very best Easter post I have read over the past few weeks. Thank you for sharing in such an open and honest way...just as you always do.

Full of JOY said...

Great post, but poor lil Mace!! That is the saddest thing ever!

Phil said...

Just read this one tonight - You sure captured my feelings. And, great thoughts about our Heavenly Father.